cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

JMP 17 Fails to Import Excel File

Hello,

I have an excel file I'm trying to import but I am continuously getting an error stating "There was an error opening the file" with no other information. I have read a few similar threads and none of the issues other people had seem to apply to my situation. The file is not currently opened by someone else, and it is an .xlsx file from the newest version of excel.

I have tried changing the import preferences to no avail. I cannot even get the excel wizard to open, it fails before that.

10 REPLIES 10
txnelson
Super User

Re: JMP 17 Fails to Import Excel File

1. Open in Excel, and then use the Excel/JMP addin to read the file into JMP.
  2. Open in Excel, then save to a .csv and then open in JMP
  3. Contact JMP Support to see if they have a solution
Jim

I will likely have to contact JMP support, as this is meant to be a JSL script and having to open the excel file to transfer it into JMP sort of misses the point. That said, saving as a .csv does work but unfortunately this file updates automatically and I would have to do that everytime I want to open it. 

hogi
Level XI

@TriangularCurve wrote:

The file is not currently opened by someone else

by yourself - in Excel?

No, I do not have it open either.

hogi
Level XI

You could try MFI - it uses it's own import sequence for CSV files.

Maybe also a slightly different method for Excel files?

Hi,

I would contact JMP Tech Support at support@jmp.com.  Please make sure to tell them what version of JMP and operating system you are using.  Particularly on Windows, there are formulas within Excel sheets that sometimes causes JMP to fail to open a file.  It is supposed to give a better error message than you are getting.  

You do mention that the file is updating automatically.  How is this happening? If the program updating the file keeps it open continuously, you will not be able to open it in JMP.

Brian Corcoran

JMP Development

It gets automatically updated once a day so it is not kept perpetually open. I will reach out to JMP Tech Support because the formula error sounds like the most likely.

WebDesignesCrow
Super User

If the Excel using macro or Power Query with "auto-refresh mode from external sources" after file open, most probably JMP cannot read it directly through JSL. I think the logic is "Excel is refreshing ..... ~" & JMP is not a software to "Refresh Excel" .

In my case, I still can open it manually in JMP. 

Out of curiosity, does "file updates automatically" means the original raw data updated or "cleaned data which has gone through some clean-up/calculation automation in Excel"? 

hogi
Level XI

- You could also try to split the Excel file (horizontally or vertically to find out which part makes the trouble.

- Or copy the data to a new file and try to import that - just to test if it's related to the content or to something in the background.

- Did you try to save it at a different location?