Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ukhandurrani
Level II

What is an Exponential 3P function?

Hi,
It is my first time using the Exponential 3P function (I think it is also called double exponential function, isn’t it?).

I don’t know what exactly the scale parameter in the Exponential 3P function means (please check the attached screenshot). Need some help in interpreting the estimated parameters of Exponential 3P.

Is it the correct form of the Exponential 3P function ukhandurrani_0-1640265388508.png

Kind regards,Exponential 3P.png

4 REPLIES 4

Re: What is an Exponential 3P function?

Hello @ukhandurrani  This blog post from @JerryFish  may give you some tools to further deepen your understanding of this function! 

https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Blog/Piecewise-Nonlinear-Solutions-Part-3-Using-JMP-s-Formula-Edito...

Also, I recommend graphing this function in Graph Builder and comparing it to the same function with adjusted parameters (e.g. you can copy and paste the formula to a new column(s) and change on the parameter values, iterating by fixed amounts on parameters, a, b, and c); and this way you can compare the effect of changing the different parameters and understand how the parameters change the function curve response more intuitively.   Hope this helps!   @PatrickGiuliano 

ukhandurrani
Level II

Thanks for the comments. I couldn't get any answer from the suggested post.
Respectfully,

KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

Scale is a measure of how spread out a distribution is.  I would agree that you should look at graphing the function and change the scale parameter to understand how it changes the shape of the function.

See this entry in JMP Help for the Nonlinear platform (I know you are using the Fit Curve platform) to see how to use interactive plotting of the graphs of the functions in the non-linear model library.