cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
abmayfield
Level VI

plotting data on grid

I know that you can plot geo-referenced data on a map in Graphbuilder. Now I want to do something more complex, which, truth be told, is easy to do in ArcGIS, but I want to see if it's possible in JMP: set a 1 x 1 km grid over the entire Earth and then overlay averages within each of the 1 km2 bins. It would seem that the bottleneck is the grid itself. I was shocked to not find a single shp file on Google corresponding to such a grid. Short of using a custom map generator and hand selecting all 1 x 1 km cells across the planet, can anyone think of an easier way? I tried making binning formulas based on latitude and longitude, but that did not work. Basically, I want to make something similar to what you see in the attachment. I feel like it SHOULD be possible!

Anderson B. Mayfield
1 REPLY 1
abmayfield
Level VI

Re: plotting data on grid

Update: it would appear that overlaying a heatmap on a map approaches what I seek to do. As long as you set the increment for both axes to the scale you desire, it will force the cells into that size (in this example I used 0.1 degrees rather than 1 km). What I don't know (but what I suspect is happening) is that, within each cell, I am getting the average of all data points within that area (i.e., what I desire). You can see the script in the attached data table. However, if anyone knows of a 1-km x 1 km grid shape file, that still might be useful for other analyses. 

Anderson B. Mayfield