cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
statman
Super User

Does updating the version of JMP wipe preferences from previous versions?

I have a buddy that was using JMP v. 15 and upgraded to 16 and lost all preferences.  This is on a windows version.  Is this typical?  I have not noticed this behavior myself, but I primarily use the Mac version.  TIA.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Does updating the version of JMP wipe preferences from previous versions?

If you are using JMP annual license on Windows, you can install different versions of JMP side by side.  So, 15 and 16 can coexist.  When that happens, your 15 preferences are retained by not migrated to 16.  So, when you start 16 it may seem like they were lost, but if you go back to 15 you'll see them there.

If you use JMP Subscription, there is no side-by-side operation.  When you update JMP to a new version, your old preferences will be retained.  

The annual license behavior was retained based on AL customer feedback.

Brian Corcoran

JMP Development

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I thought that they were preserved in an external file. In fact, you can share the file with others and they now have the same customized preferences.

The question is, where is that file stored? The location might have changed somehow. (Like, previous version was 32-bit and current version is 64-bit) Check the Preferences:

paths.PNG

You can move the file to the new location of the current version and it should recognize the custom settings.

jthi
Super User

I don't remember that happening at least not with JMP15 to JMP16 update. Ask your buddy to check C:\Users\<USERNAME>AppData\Roaming\SAS\JMP\ and different JMP version folders. I think Preferences are saved to JMP.PFS file and hopefully JMP15 one hasn't been overwritten. There might also be some other locations where the settings are saved to.

-Jarmo

If you are using JMP annual license on Windows, you can install different versions of JMP side by side.  So, 15 and 16 can coexist.  When that happens, your 15 preferences are retained by not migrated to 16.  So, when you start 16 it may seem like they were lost, but if you go back to 15 you'll see them there.

If you use JMP Subscription, there is no side-by-side operation.  When you update JMP to a new version, your old preferences will be retained.  

The annual license behavior was retained based on AL customer feedback.

Brian Corcoran

JMP Development

statman
Super User

Thanks folks.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box