Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
qlim
Level II

How to stop JMP from truncating excel scientific notation format

Hello,

I'm trying to import an .xlsx into JMP using Excel Import Wizard. It seems that JMP keeps truncating the excel scientific notation data to 3 significant digits. 

First image shows the view over in Excel - the data is in scientific notation with 2 decimal points shown but with 8 significant digits. 

Second image is the Excel import wizard view. 

Third image is the resultant data table view in JMP - data is truncated to 3 significant digits. 

Please share tips on how to stop JMP from doing this. I would like to maintain similar significant digits as the excel spreadsheet. 

Thanks.

excel_view.JPG

jmp_import_wizard.JPG

jmp_view.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
qlim
Level II

Re: How to stop JMP from truncating excel scientific notation format

Thanks, this is a good workaround.
Would be nice if SAS fixed/improve the wizard so that it does not truncate the data. It have caused unwanted deltas in my report.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
statman
Super User

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 4.49.36 PM.jpg

Just a quick question, if you right click on the column where the data looks truncated and get Column Info. what is the width set to? If you change that value, you will change the # of sig digits. Not sure if this will solve your problem.  There are also some options selecting the Best option drop down.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
qlim
Level II

That doesn't do anything, since the importing wizard have already truncated it to 3 significant digits.

See image attached.

Capture-9.JPG

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

I see the same behavior and the only workaround I've found is to change the format in Excel to show more decimals before importing into JMP. 

It can be done with a VBA script, which in turn can be run from JSL. See e.g. Re: JSL: Open a VBS script 

qlim
Level II

Thanks, this is a good workaround.
Would be nice if SAS fixed/improve the wizard so that it does not truncate the data. It have caused unwanted deltas in my report.